“Sometimes the only way is jumping…I hope you’re not afraid of heights.”

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Happy Anniversary

This past weekend, Alex and I celebrated our first anniversary as a married couple. It really is hard to believe that a year has already gone by since we tied the knot--the best decision I have ever made. Oh happy day.

We celebrated by going up to Park City for the weekend {...and spending more money than we anticipated...you only celebrate your first anniversary once? Right?} We left Friday evening after Alex got off of work and got pizza delivered to our hotel room, while we watched Lars and the Real Girl. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, so driving up to the valet only entrance of the hotel in our 2001 Ford Taurus behind a bunch of BMWs and Audis made us feel like we were part of a show called, "The Provo Hillbillies make their way to Park City!!" It didn't help that our brakes sort of went out on the way up to Park City... aka any time you even thought about touching the car's brakes, a horrible grinding noise hovered in the air for a good ten seconds. Ugh.


But we didn't care. It was our anniversary. We made it there without our car totally dying on us. We would never see these people again {until maybe next year}. And plus, it was a little funny.

After we ate our pizza, we went to get ice cream on Main Street at a place called Java Cow that we had read about on a food blog. It was way crowded, but definitely worth the wait. Not the best ice cream I have even had in my entire life, but it merited a twenty minute wait.




The net day was packed full of fun. We started the day off by waking up around 6 am {not usually my ideal waking time...} and going on a hot air balloon ride that we had gotten as a gift from Alex's brother and sister in law for our wedding! It was amazing and so beautiful. **Side note: if you ever go on one of these rides, there is no need to dress warm like most people thought would be necessary. They don't call it a hot air balloon for no reason!

Setting up the balloon in the field







Later in the afternoon, Alex surprised me with a one-hour horse back ride. So romantic, right? I love horses and love going horse back riding whenever the opportunity presents itself. He is so thoughtful. We were lucky too because we were the only two riders there at that time. Just me, Alex, and the guide riding through aspen forests and flower-filled meadows.





We ended the night dining at Ruth's Chris--my new favorite restaurant. It might have cost an arm and a leg, but I would give my other arm and leg to eat there again. Perhaps next anniversary. It was probably the best meal of my life. We opted to go with the premium dining selection which included a soup or salad to start, a personal side and your choice of entree, and a desert to top off the meal. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I started with the summer tomato and basil bisque 

This baby was sizzling when it came out...you can see the bubbles around it, it was so hot! So delicious. 

                              
                                    I got the baked potato casserole for my side

Alex got the garlic mashed potatoes. Also buttery and delicious.

Our anniversary desert...extreme chocolate cake. It was like a lava cake with ice cream and strawberries. 
I was pretty ecstatic about the dinner. haha


After dinner, we decided to waddle around Main Street. 
Just someone I met...

The next morning we slept in, and took our time lounging and checking out of our hotel and going back to reality. But reality isn't that bad when you have a husband like Alex who treats you like it's your anniversary every day. {Cue the corny Celine Dion song in the background while I wallow in this sappy moment!}


'Til next time, Park City. 'Til next time Waldorf. You have been an absolute pleasure! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Could you two be any cuter?! I think not! Looks like you guys had the perfect time! I have always wanted to go on a hot air balloon!

    ReplyDelete