“Sometimes the only way is jumping…I hope you’re not afraid of heights.”

Sunday, May 29, 2011

i'm definitely a princess after visiting all of those castles...

I want to apologize in advance for my outfits this weekend--not because I think they were bad, but because it looks like I'm wearing the same thing on every day. I promise I wasn't...well just the sweater and the jeans. Whoops?

Anyway, what did I do this weekend in Normandie? That is the question? Well, what didn't we do? HA! Our days were jam packed and super duper fun!


On Friday, we traveled to Mont St. Michel, which is a giant fortress with quicksand around it! It was pretty awesome and the view was absolutely gorgeous.


We had like a million hours there, and the top was closed due to a strike, so we decided to buy a four-museum pass for 9 euros. It sound like a pretty good deal right? No. Worst decision ever. I won't tell you the whole story, but let's just say I know why it was only 9 euros for four museums. We didn't even bother going into the last one, and went and got lunch on the terrace instead.


We didn't even bother going into the last one, and went and got lunch on the terrace instead.


Let me tell you about lunch: there were the most obnoxious and stereotypical American girls sitting next to us... and I was embarrassed. They were speaking at unreal volumes in comparison to everyone else, were dressed in PINK sweatshirts with their oversized sunglasses, and were trying to say the french alphabet as fast as they could. Ummmm...yeah.


So, if you're American, these are some TIPS I will give you for when you come to Europe because most of the time you don't even realize you're making these mistakes:

1) There is no need to yell when talking to someone who is a foot away from you. I promise they will still be able to hear you AND you won't involve the whole restaurant in your conversation about hot french boys and english accents.

2) Do not wear white tennis shoes and a camera around your neck. I don't care how comfortable your tennis shoes are--you will be a target for pick-pocketing. And you definitely wouldn't want that, right?

3) When on the metro, do not lean against the pole that is in the center for EVERYONE to use. Besides the fact that it is not for your personal comfort and leisure, it is quite dirty. Ew.

4) Do not automatically use English with the locals because you assume they know it. Most of the time they do know English, but let's try and fit in with their culture just a wee bit, eh?

5) Embrace the culture, try the food, and observe the locals and what they do. Here in Paris, the people are always observing their surroundings and they aren't afraid to look at you and everyone else for that matter. Play the staring game with them! They like it. haha ;)

Ok, so now that we have that out of the way. I will tell you about Saturday in Normandie--we went to TWO castles and they were tres grand and tres gorgeous! I loved them, but once again I loved the grounds around the castle more. It was lovely.


The first castle was called Blois and was built in four different time periods, so each wing is built in a different style, including Renaissance, Middle Ages, Neoclassical, and Flamboyant. It was AWESOME!



Then after walking throughout the castle, we had some left over time to explore the town it was in, so we went to a little Saturday market and got the best sandwich evah!!! On a fresh baguette, there were fresh tomatoes, lettuce, a grilled sausage and ham, topped with grilled veggies and a white sauce that tasted similar to a Gyro sauce. AHHHH! I want one now!! :)


After eating and visiting the first castle, we went to another castle called Chambord. This one was my favorite--more than Versailles, more than Mont Saint Michel, and more then Blois. I loved it! The most recognizable feature of this castle is the double helix staircase that Da Vinci designed so that a lover could come down at the same time someone was going up and they wouldnt see each other. Terrible, I know. But pretty cool in terms of architecture.




The grounds of this castle were huge and wonderfully magnificent! We had a blast renting a six-person peddle cart/ bike thing that we put seven people on. I can't even tell you how heavy that thing was and how heavy it was to peddle...but it was so so much fun!...and I got a bit of a needed workout. haha



Kayla and I ended the day with a real workout--a full-length workout off of Exercise TV. We tried to explain to our host mom about exercise videos and gyms and stuff, and they don't have those things here because people don't really consciously work out here in France, so she didn't get it. Hmm...why is it that french women don't get fat then?



And of course, we had to go to McDos for dinner after, right?
Typical nighthere in Paris and you know what...you're missing out!! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment